In the uncertain times that we are currently living in, it is important that we are fully prepared for the possibility that we may have to have a full or partial closure of school depending on the local Covid-19 situation. There will also be instances where individual children will be self-isolating due to coming into contact with a positive case of Covid 19.
At Downsway, we are committed to our pupils’ learning during any period of closure. Our 'Remote Learning Guidance' document shows parents/carers what to expect from us should their child need to self-isolate or local restrictions require them to remain at home.
How long can I expect work set by the school to take my child each day?
The government suggests that remote learning will take pupils broadly the following number of hours each day:
- Foundation Stage and KS1 – 3 hours per day.
- KS2 – 4 hours per day.
How will my child access remote education?
- At Downsway we use a GDPR secure app/web page called Seesaw to allow pupils to access their remote learning. Teachers will also provide feedback to the children’s work through Seesaw. In addition, the main source of communication between the teacher and home when remote education is taking place is through Seesaw. Please ensure that you are able to access your child's Seesaw account and please let the school office know if you are having any difficulties logging on.
What are your expectations for my child’s engagement and the support that we as parents and carers should provide at home?
- Parents/Carers are aware of the work set each day and the expectation is that work set is completed
- Our videos will be pre-recorded, as this gives the greatest flexibility in all households to watch them at the most convenient time.
- Responsibility for parents/carers to contact school if there are challenges at home, so school can offer further support and guidance
How will you check whether my child is engaging with their work and how will I be informed if there are concerns?
- Pupils engagement is checked daily by the class teachers and reviewed on a weekly basis.
- Parents/carers will be contacted via an email from the school office if their child’s engagement with education is raising concerns and further guidance will be offered.